Top safety tips for new homeowners in Modesto
If you recently acquired your first home or you’re getting ready to, congratulations! It’s a thrilling time for you and your family. You might be thinking about the ways you might individualize your property with paint, furnishings, and decor. But, before you go all-in on redecorating, make certain you examine home security as well. Keeping those you care about protected should always be a foremost priority, and we’ll show you how with our safety tips for new homeowners in Modesto.
Complete a safety audit of your new Modesto property
Now that safety is front and center, discover what your new home has in terms of protection. To start, make sure you have operational fire alarms. Test all of them and change batteries if needed. Are CO detectors present? Do you need a water sensor in your basement? This is also an excellent time to upgrade door locks and inspect all locking mechanisms on windows. Go room-by-room and get to know your new house.
Smart security tips for your Modesto home
Once you’ve completed your initial investigation of safety alarms and locks, you can think about elevating your property’s safety. Get started with these security tips for your home in Modesto.
- Install a full-featured home security system. One of the top tools for new homeowners in Modesto is a home security system. The latest in wireless advancements let you keep a close watch on your residence even when you’re at the office or on vacation. You can review live video footage, engage entry locks, and even communicate with people at your door right from your cell phone. You can even custom-tailor your system with amazing security implements like video surveillance and monitored safety alarms.
- Modernize your outdoor lights. Outdoor lights with motion detection are a smart way to discourage potential intruders. You might even incorporate them with surveillance cameras. The triggering of a motion sensor can signal your video equipment to start recording.
- Keep your yard nicely groomed. Do you have an unobstructed view of your property through your windows? Are there overgrown bushes and trees blocking the view? Eliminate potential areas to hide by keeping your yard well maintained. Your neighbors will be grateful for it too.
- Get to know others on your street. Speaking of your neighbors, get familiar with them. If you are friends with people close to you, they’ll be more inclined to advise you if they see suspicious activity. You may also join your area’s social media group if one is available.
- Utilize home automation. If you go with a modern smart home, you can make it seem like you’re home by turning on smart light bulbs at scheduled times. This is a great feature when you’re away.